9 Apr 2018

,

Book Review / The Homecoming by Rosie Howard



Maddy fled the idyllic market town of Havenbury Magna three years ago, the scene of a traumatic incident she revisits most clearly in her dreams. 

Even so, when she is called back to help at the Havenbury Arms when her godfather Patrick suffers a heart attack, she is unprepared for the welter of emotions her return provokes. 

Psychologist and ex-army officer Ben is sure he can help Maddy to resolve her fears, until he finds himself falling for her, and struggling with a recently uncovered family secret of which Maddy is blissfully unaware. 

Then Maddy's mother, Helen, arrives and Patrick himself must confront a few uncomfortable truths about his history and the pub's future.


Published:     15th February 2018
Publisher:  Allison & Busby
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Book 1, Havenbury
Source:  Review Copy from Publisher




MY REVIEW

If I had to describe this book in one or two words, I would call it a family drama.  Although there were no real surprises in this story as I had figured out what was going on early on, I really did enjoy the comfort of knowing what was coming up and enjoyed the ride.  There are quite a few characters in this story but I didn't have any trouble keeping up with them.  If I had to pick a favourite, it would have to be Ben.  Ben is a character that starts of as a good neighbour type of character, has come conflicts along the way and that's all i'll say for now as I don't want to spoil the story.

In this story we follow Maddy as she returns to a place where she experienced a pretty traumatic event that even she cannot remember.  With the help of Ben and others, she gradually remembers what happened back then.  I would have loved to have read more about this than having a 'quick reveal' at nearer the end of the story but maybe that is something we get to see in the next book in this series?

If I was being picky I would have much preferred a shorter book.  For me, if the book was about 50 to 100 pages shorter and a little less description the book would have had a faster pace.  There were some parts in this book where I had wished the story was moving on quicker.  That said, I did really enjoy this and am looking forward to reading more.









0 comments: