16 Apr 2018

,

Series Review / The Babysitters Club Specials by Ann M Martin


Kristy, Mary Anne, Stacey, Claudia and Dawn are the luckiest baby-sitters in the world. This summer they're going on the greatest trip ever: a plane ride to Florida, a boat trip around the Bahamas, and then three days of fun - in Disney World!

Of course they have a million adventures. Claudia gets notes from a mysterious "Secret Admirer." Kristy, Mary Anne, and Stacey make some unusual new friends. Dawn has her first real romance. And they still have time for what they like best of all - baby-sitting.


Published:     1990s
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Babysitter Club Specials, Books 1 to 15

Source:  Owned


MY REVIEW

What a trip down memory lane!  Back in the 1990s when I was a young teenager The Babysitters Club was one of those series that I was completely hooked on.  In fact, I think this is probably the first series I ever picked up.  Although I didn't read the entire series (as there are more than 200ish books in the series) I certainly picked up and read whatever I could get my hands on from the library.  I didn't really want to read all 200 plus books in this series but saw that the Specials collection is about 15 books, so I thought I would pick those up instead.  I have had the physical books with me for a while now, having rediscovered they were still available to buy.

There are some books that you can forget the plot and characters of and there are some that just stay with you.  The Babysitter Club plot and characters have definately stayed with me for a very long time.  What I liked about these specials was the fact that at the start of each book it gave a brief reminder of what the Babysitters Club was and who the main characters are in the club.  That helped certainly in the first book to bring me back into this work and reintroduce myself to the characters.  It was also good to have this in each of the specials as these specials were written at periodic points in the series and not one straight after the other where in between specials a lot has happened with the characters, each special book does a great job of catching you up what what has happened.

Despite the fact that each of the specials kind of have the same plot (trouble occurs and Babysitters Club saves the day in one way or another) I really enjoyed rediscovering this work and the characters that I loved when I was younger.

If you ever get hit by the 'I need to read something from my past' bug, just do it.  You will never know what you will rediscover.




0 comments: